(formerly Tulsa Area Music Archives)
The Steve Todoroff Archives is being transitioned into a major exhibitor for all to enjoy.
From time to time we’ll repost one of our podcasts here for your listening pleasure.
Thanks to all of you for your past support. Look for some of our material in future OHS/OKPOP Museum exhibits starting in 2014.
The Tommy Allsup Interview
from June, 2011
VOL. 6.2 “Bonus”
THE TOMMY ALLSUP INTERVIEW.
The Steve Todoroff Archives is pleased to share this interview by our founder Steve Todoroff with premier Western Swing guitarist and producer, Tommy Allsup. Tommy is probably best know for losing the coin flip to Richie Valens on February 3, 1959, allowing Valens to join Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, aka J.P. Richardson, and Roger Peterson, the pilot of the private plane they had chartered, to meet an untimely death. A Tulsa-area native, Tommy has had an amazing career as a session guitarist, arranger and producer, with a career that has spanned over six decades. Listen to Tommy talk about his days as a session player with the likes of Buddy Holly, Buddy Knox, Walter Brennan, The Everly Brothers, Eddie Cochran, Kenny Rogers and many, many others. Tommy also talks about working in the studios of Los Angeles in the early Sixties with a young Leon Russell, who was just starting out in the session world. Hear Tommy also address the current controversy involving the recent claim by Dion that he was actually the one that flipped a coin with Richie Valens for the infamous seat on the private plane on that fateful night, and hear a selection of Tommy’s work, both well-known and obscure, straight from the vaults of the Steve Todoroff Archives!
1. A Little Bitty Tear - Johnny Burnette
2. Walk On By - Johnny Burnette
3. Jambalaya - Tommy Allsup & The Raiders
4. Little Hollywood Girl - The Everly Brothers
5. Down On Deep River - Leon Russell
6. Hey Punkin! - The Bowman Brothers
7. It's So Easy - The Crickets
8. Heartbeat - Buddy Holly
9. Wishing - Buddy Holly
10. Peggy Sue Got Married - Buddy Holly
11. Ling Ting Tong - Buddy Knox
12. Blues In "A" - Bob Wills
13. Old Rivers - Walter Brennan
14. Milk Cow Blues - Eddie Cochran
15. Guitar Twist - The Ventures
16. When You're In Love - Bobby Vee
17. Watusi '64 - Jay Bentley and The Jet Set
18. 500 cc - The Eliminators
19. Fools Paradise - Tommy Allsup
20. Peppermint Beatle - The Standells
21. In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus) - Zager and Evans
22. Stand By Your Man - Tommy Allsup and the Tennessee Saxes
23. The Gambler - Kenny Rogers
24. Bob's Breakdown - Asleep At The Wheel
25. I'll Fly Away - Tommy Allsup
Direct from the vaults of the Steve Todoroff Archives,
Preserving Tulsa’s Music History...
Running Time: 1:57:34
Compiled, mixed and edited by Steve Todoroff/Tulsa/USA
Click here to listen or control + click (Mac)/right click (Windows) here and “save link as”
to download “The Tommy Allsup Interview” to your computer.